This coming month The University of Miami Miller School of Medicine’s Complementary & Integrative Medicine division will be presenting the professional conference Applying Clinical Nutrition & Integrative Therapies to Pain Management. The educational program will focus on teaching professionals about using functional medicine and nutritional approaches to treating pain and related health issues. This approach offers safe and natural alternatives to conventional pain medications, thus reducing the risk of dangerous side effects and addictions.
The conference will be held on April 26th, 27th, and 28th, 2013 at the Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay. Early registration for those wishing to attend ends on March 29th, 2013. Medical professionals from a variety of disciplines are expected to be participating in this enlightening seminar. The conference organizers state that:
“With the increasing abuse of narcotics in pain management, new non-pharmacological treatment modalities are now being integrated into clinical care. Pain is often a primary reason why patients seek out medical treatment and its manifestation often reflects inflammatory processes inherent in many diverse conditions, both acute and chronic. Family medicine physicians are often the first point of contact and responsible for ongoing management.
This conference will primarily focus on the field of Clinical Nutrition as it relates to the treatment and management of pain in a wide variety of conditions. Research demonstrates that the pathophysiology of pain can be mediated by phytonutrients and nutrient dense foods that lessen inflammatory signaling pathways. Research also demonstrates that nutrient deficiencies and poor diet can exacerbate symptoms. Psychological stress can further contribute to, and amplify pain syndromes. Diverse, expert integrative practitioners will present research based CIM modalities used in the treatment of pain.”
South Florida has previously developed a reputation as a place for pill mills, where pain medication addicts come to get their fix. For those suffering with pain, there are ways to truly heal and reduce or clear away the pain. Diet and nutritional and herbal interventions are valuable resources to help treat pain successfully. Anyone wishing to help those suffering with pain or those addicted to medications may wish to explore the integrative medicine alternatives that offer help and hope.
The conference sessions include:
- Treatment of Chronic Inflammation, Pain & Related Conditions
- Nutritional Approaches to Migraine and Other Vascular Headache Syndromes
- Integrative Approaches to Rheumatology and Pain
- Conditions Related to and Caused by Gastrointestinal Dysbiosis: IBS, IBD,food allergies and more
- Immunology Protocol for Allergy, Asthma, and Eczema
- Optimizing Biophysical Therapies & Nutritional Support for Pain
- Combining Conventional and Integrative Medicine in the DIAGNOSIS of Pain
- Combining Conventional and Integrative Medicine in the TREATMENT of Pain
- Live Demonstration of an Integrative Approach to Pain Management
- Massage Therapy for the Reduction of Pain
- Newest Discoveries of the Extracellular Matrix of Fascia, and the Role of Sustained Pressure on Piezoelectric Tissue to Relieve Pain
- Acupuncture for Treating Pain: Review of the evidence and practical approaches
- Interactive Panel and Q&A
For further information and registration details, visit: http://cim.med.miami.edu/educational-programs/pain-conference