If you decide you would like to participate in further training with your German Shepherd Dog, there really are many options that you can consider. There is something for everyone in the dog world! Some of these suggestions may be limited or unavailable due to the area you live in, but all are worth looking into!
- SV/USCA style conformation – For German line dogs using the WUSV/FCI standards. You can find more information about this type of conformation from The United Schutzhund Clubs of America.
- AKC conformation – For American show line dogs using the GSDCA standard.
- UKC conformation – All different lines are shown in the UKC ring. You will find American show lines, German working and show lines as well as just pet/BYB lines. While it does not hold as much prestige as some other options, some people find it more enjoyable.
- SchH/IPO style obedience – SchH/IPO clubs now offer obedience only titles for people to earn. If you are looking for a different venue to compete in obedience, this may be worth looking into.
- AKC obedience – AKC is probably the most popular obedience competition venue. There are many trials and you are probably most likely to find these in any area you live.
- UKC obedience – UKC obedience is very similar to AKC obedience.
- Rally obedience – AKC, UKC or APDT – Rally is a really fun and exciting option if you are not interested in the more precise strict competition obedience. Check out my previous article on Rally Obedience.
Tracking / Scenting
- SchH/IPO style tracking – SchH/IPO clubs now offer tracking only titles for you to earn with your dog. You do need to earn a BH (basic obedience title) and then can go on to earn your tracking titles up to and including the FH1 and FH2.
- Search and Rescue – SAR is more of a commitment rather than just a fun competition. However, if you have the desire and time to devote to it, along with a dog that is capable of the work it can be very rewarding for you and your dog.
- AKC tracking – AKC offers tracking trials where you can earn titles. If you plan to do both AKC and SchH style tracking, you will be better off starting with the SchH style tracking.
- Nose-work – K9 Nose work is a rather new venue and competition in the dog world. Since it is newer, it is not available in all areas. However, the popularity is growing quickly.
Please proceed to Part 2 of this article to view even more options that you can choose to participate in with your German Shepherd Dog.
Types of titles you can earn with your GSD, Part 2