Ashley Hyde, a teen from south Florida, almost lost her sight due to a parasite. According to a March 29 report by The Jacskonville Observer, the parasite caused an acanthamoeba infection.
The 18-year-old high school senior went to several doctors before the cause of the redness and throbbing her right eye. Once diagnosed with the acanthamoeba infection, she must have several months of treatment to get rid of the parasite.
The parasite that caused the acanthamoeba infection entered her eye through a poorly cleaned contact lens. It appears Ashley Hyde did not properly clean her contact lens before wearing it.
The parasite, the acanthamoeba, is found in dust, the ocean, swimming pools and tap water. It can be spread through inhalation, wounds on the skin and contact lenses. If the infection had been left untreated, Ashley Hyde could have lost her sight completely or had other permanent visual damage.