Don’t be surprised if one day soon, Michigan changes its motto to the “Great Beer State.” The craft beer craze is sweeping Michigan, making it fifth in the nation in the number of breweries, microbreweries and brewpubs. Bolstered by the Great Lakes and nurtured by the glacier rich soil, Michigan is a brewer’s (and beer drinker’s) paradise.
With summer approaching, Pure Michigan and Founders Brewing Co. have teamed up to give fans and craft beer enthusiasts a chance to pick a Founders beer style that best represents Pure Michigan. Now through Friday, May 3, fans can vote on the beer style they want to see available in the Founders tap room – Vanilla Stout, Apple Ale or Wheat IPA. To vote, simply use this form. Participants must be 21 years of age to vote.
The beer chosen by fans will be featured in the Founders tap room in downtown Grand Rapids throughout July as part of Michigan Craft Beer Month. For more details, visit michigan.org.
From the pilsners of Copper Country and the ales of Flat Rock, to the porters of Port Huron and the stouts of Grand Rapids, there’s always a great Michigan brewery to experience in the state. What better place to try seasonal beers than a place that truly experiences all four seasons? Visit michigan.org/breweries for a listing of statewide breweries and beer trail suggestions.
A few facts about Michigan beer —
- Michigan is home to more than 100 breweries.
- Michigan is ranked among the top five states in the nation for total number of breweries, microbreweries and brewpubs.
- Michigan’s beer industry has a total economic impact of more than $133 million.
- Michigan has approximately 250 acres of hops currently grown in the state.
- Grand Rapids, Michigan was named “Beer City USA 2012” in a nationwide poll, sharing the title with four-time winner Asheville, NC.
- Bellaire Brown, Motown Lager, Huma Lupa Licious, Good Harbor Golden, Whitefish Bay Wheat, Dragon’s Milk, PB&J, Mad Hatter, Strawberry Short’s Cake, Purple Gang, Pickaxe Blonde, Red Tulip, Ring of Fire, Key Lime Pie and S’more Stout… are just some of Michigan’s unique craft beers that let the imagination run wild and tantalize taste buds!
About Founders Brewing Co. —
Established in 1997 by two craft beer enthusiasts with day jobs and a dream, Founders Brewing Co. has made a distinctive mark on the craft beer community by brewing complex, in-your-face ales, with huge aromatics and tons of flavor. Founders is one of the fastest-growing craft breweries in the United States, currently ranking among the top 30 largest craft breweries in the nation.
Founders Brewing Co. has received numerous awards from the World Beer Cup and the Great American Beer Festival, and its beers are often rated among the best in the world by RateBeer and BeerAdvocate users. Located in downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan, Founders is a proud member of the Michigan Brewers Guild and the Brewers Association. For more information, visit www.foundersbrewing.com.
The national Craft Beer scene —
- More than 13 million barrels of craft beer were produced from more than 2,000 craft breweries operating in the U.S. in 2012.
- American craft brewers are recognized for making some of the best beer in the world. The Brewers Association reported record exports of American craft beer in 2011 which totaled over 110,000 barrels of beer and was valued at an estimated $23.4 million.
- The 2013 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines defines 142 styles of beer.
- On average, most Americans live within 10 miles of a brewery, and hundreds of thousands of people have toured or tasted at their local brewery.