The Edison Ford Shoppe at the Bell Tower Shops had its Grand Opening Friday night and is now open daily during mall hours.
The Shoppe includes a little bit of the historic site on McGregor Boulevard, and features unique, handcrafted items, including original works of art by painters Marie Dyer and Leoma Lovegrove. Dyer is a well-known North Captiva artist whose paintings have appeared in Chico’s Magazine, Southern Living and numerous other publications, and each of her paintings and prints portrays a little piece of her South Florida life. Lovegrove not only boasts an international following, but her vivid expressionist paintings can be found in the presidential library of George W. Bush and the private collections of actress Sharon Stone and actor Jesse Metcalf. More recently, Lovegrove has partnered with Bealls on a line of art wear that showcases her highly-popular Florida motifs.
As an off-site location for the Edison & Ford Winter Estates, the Shoppe will provide guests with information on the Estates and how to take part in its fun-filled year-round educational activities. The store includes an area for regular programs, author talks and book signings, as well as artist demonstrations, food tastings, gardening demos and video programs. Among the programs offered by the Edison Ford Shoppe during the month of May are:
- A book signing with authors Tom Smoot, (The Edisons of Fort Myers Discoveries of the Heart) and John W. Sheppard (One Man’s Family in Early Fort Myers, Little Things Can Mean A Lot: Pearls of Life of Great Value, and I Can See Clearly Now) from 6-8 p.m. on May 2. The books will be available for purchase in the Shoppe.
- Ask the Plant People. The Edison Ford horticulture staff will be available from 6-8 p.m. on May 9 to answer questions and impart tips and general information on Southwest Florida gardening and the Gardens at Edison Ford. Boutique garden items will be available for purchase in time for Mother’s Day.
- Yappy Hour. Dogs will be welcomed in Edison Ford Shoppe from 6-8 p.m. on May 10. A dog basket valued at $75 from Little Paws Bakery will be raffled off.
- Artist Leoma Lovegrove will give a Gallery Talk at the Shoppe from 6–8 p.m. on May 16.
- Edison Ford Celebrates Restaurant Week with a Tasting of Edison Ford from 6-8 p.m. on May 23. Calamondian, honey, jams, jellies, olives and a variety of items for purchase at Edison Ford Museum Store will be offered, including fresh fruit grown in the Edison Ford gardens.
- KIDding Around with Edison Ford Wild Wizards, Science of Sound. Investigate and experience the science of sound from 5-7 p.m. on May 28, with phonograph demonstrations, designing a thunder clapper and more!
- Book signing with author Amy Bennett Williams (Along the Caloosahatchee River) from 6-8 p.m. on May 30. Books will be available in the Shoppe for purchase.
Although the Grand Opening was April 26 and the store is now open, the Greater Fort Myers Chamber of Commerce will hold a ribbon cutting for the new Edison Ford Shoppe at 4:30 p.m. on May 7. Edison Ford members and the public are invited to join in tours, refreshments, shopping, and social networking. Refreshments for the ribbon cutting will be provided by Blue Pointe Oyster Bar & Seafood Grille, located in the Bell Tower Shops.
For more information, please call The Edison Ford Shoppe directly at 239-437-3778.