While speaking at a gun control rally in St. Louis Saturday afternoon, Dr. Robert Flood, director of pediatric emergency medicine at St. Louis University, urged supporters to pressure lawmakers into adopting a “children’s rights amendment” that would “counterbalance” the Second and 14th Amendments to the Constitution, Jim Hoft reported at the Gateway Pundit.
“So if common sense legislation is not passed in the upcoming weeks and months, then please work to ratify the proposed Children’s Amendment to the US Constitution,” he said.
“The Children’s Rights Amendment, or the CRA, would allow a more solid legal foundation to so-called counterbalance the legal interpretation of the Second and 14th Amendments as interpreted by the U.S. Supreme Court,” he said.
The amendment is based on the U.N. Declaration of the Rights of the Child, widely criticized by conservatives as a treaty that would ultimately hand U.S. rights and sovereignty over to the United Nations while inserting government into the home of every American.
“The best interest of the child will take primary consideration and will supersede all existing laws and amendments that otherwise could endanger the safety and welfare of children,” Section 3 of the amendment reads.
The post at change.org says this section is “the key” to superseding the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms.
“Flood also said he was not political but got his information from MoveOn.org and the Obama campaign website,” Hoft added.
After the rally, conservative blogger Stacy Washington attempted to get a reaction from Mayor Francis Slay, who stood behind Dr. Flood as he spoke.
When asked if he supported the treaty, Slay said he wasn’t “aware” of it. As Washington was speaking to him, he walked away and began speaking to another person.
“Please understand as I do, that he may have been a bit miffed to be asked a question that required him to register an actual opinion in the affirmative or negative,” Washington wrote. “This isn’t his normal routine as his job consists mostly of fundraising, visiting sites and locations to cut ribbons, and other fluffy non-confrontational stuff.”
Video of Dr. Flood’s comments can be seen here.
- Dana Loesch, Grover Norquist school Piers Morgan, Van Jones on gun control
- Chris Matthews compares gun rights supporters to Nazis, flubs movie reference
- Store rescinds Mark Kelly’s AR-15 rifle purchase, questions intent
- Alabama Democrat engages in racist email exchange with citizen on gun control
- Bloomberg gun control ads show unsafe and irresponsible use of shotgun
- David Gregory falsely claims 40 percent of guns sold without background checks
- Wealthy filmmaker Michael Moore: Most guns owned by ‘scared’ white people
- Rep. Charlie Rangel falsely claims ‘millions of kids’ killed by assault weapons
- Rainn Wilson, Michael Moore cite parody Onion article on NRA, liberals duped
- New Jersey father targeted by authorities over Facebook photo of boy with gun
- Colorado sheriff: ‘I am not going to enforce’ new gun control laws
- Magpul to leave Colorado ‘almost immediately’ after Gov. signs gun control bill
- Unhinged: Violent online game lets players murder NRA officials by shooting them
- Poker star Erik Seidel calls for drone strike on NRA’s Wayne LaPierre
- Michael Bloomberg: Government ‘should infringe’ on some individual freedom
- University professor calls for beheading of NRA CEO, says NRA terrorist group
- Liberals on Twitter call for murder of NRA members after NRA press conference (Video)
- Actress Marg Helgenberger: ‘One can only hope’ NRA members are shot dead
- Democratic Party leader: Call to shoot NRA members not a death threat
- Texas Democratic Party leader, blogger calls for shooting NRA members
- Should an apology from a Democratic Party Executive Committee member cover calls for mass shootings?
- Liberals on Twitter call for murder of NRA members, repeal of Second Amendment
- Eric Holder: Time to ask ‘hard questions’ about Constitutional rights
- Do liberals really want a second civil war in America?
- Daily Beast writer: Piers Morgan should ‘pop’ Alex Jones with semi-automatic gun
If you like this article, you can follow Joe on Twitter @jnewby1956, visit his Facebook page, or subscribe to receive email updates when a new article is published.
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe’s blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe’s articles at Right News Now, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.