Chalk Gyms is a modern laid back gym located in Brooklyn, New York. Even if you are not from the area it’s most certainly worth the trip. Managing Director, Michael Losardo wanted to open up his own gym after gaining a very strong understanding of what people want as it pertains to their gym experience. He realized that it should be friendly, clean, convenient, and most importantly, easy! One way Chalk Gyms is different from other gyms is that they never charge an “initiation fee”. Losardo says: “Nobody likes unnecessary charges.”
In what other ways is Chalk Gyms different?
- They have their own music selection, every song is hand-picked and consistently getting updated by their in house music expert. Losardo believed that music and exercise go hand-in-hand and is a very important component to the gym experience.
- Another way that Chalk Gyms is different is that they encourage participation! Every time a member checks-in, they get a point. The accumulated points are then redeemable for either a gym bag, personal training session, or free month! (50, 100, 150 points).
- There is a distinct sense of team work and friendly competition with their weekly challenges. The top 10 performances are recognized on their “Challenge” board, winners are given a gift certificate donated by various local merchants.
Additional attributes include:
- They opened 7 months ago.
- Participants can try the gym out for free to see if Chalk Gyms is the best option for them.
- The music is constantly expanding with new and emerging artists. They release a monthly playlist featuring top talent and we focus on everything that the radio doesn’t. http://open.spotify.com/user/chalkgyms/playlist/7DiFyjf5Lgtm7ZUpSLXuuG
One of CG’s most popular classes is their GRIT class taught by Kyle Fincham. The class is truly challenging, testing your commitment and self motivation. Fincham does not mess around incorporating difficult but effective drills including: burpees, pushups, sprints, squats and much more! Continue reading to learn more about Kyle and what keeps him going everyday.
When did you know you wanted to pursue a career in fitness?
Honestly, I decided to commit to fitness fairly recently. I had been teaching classes and personal training for a while, but only to keep my head above water while I pursued other things. Then this past year I began to fall into my own in the fitness world. I noticed more people were starting to come to my classes and my calendar was filling up with personal training clients. Internally, I discovered a comfort and rhythm in fitness I’d never felt before, and most importantly I couldn’t imagine being happier at a work. The final push came at the end of the year. A group of members who take my classes at Chalk Gyms discovered my birthday was coming up and came together to give me a card and gift certificate to Paragon Sports. The gift certificate was so nice of them, but it was the things they wrote in the card that resonated with me, I was moved. The card was full of Thank You’s, I hadn’t realized the effect my classes were having on them. It wasn’t only their physical achievements; they mentioned confidence, self-esteem, and happiness. I was overwhelmed and touched. At that moment I decided this is my life.
What do you love most about your job?
Everything! I love spending my time with exciting and motivated people. I love getting up at 5:30 am to meet a client whose drive inspires me just as much as I inspire them. I love leading a group into what feels like battle in some classes. I love working with brilliant people that offer me knowledge and advice. I love running, jumping, pushing-up, pulling-up, squatting, and burpee-ing. And, most importantly, I love wearing shorts.
How do you stay in shape?
I just do things. First I got healthy, then I got fit, then I got strong, then I got fast, then… I didn’t know what to do. I realized routine no longer works for me. I decided not to think about numbers or weights and I simply put my body to use. Some days I’ll run and row, others I’ll do burpee pull-ups and burpee box jumps, and sometimes I just get on the stair master. I try to find my limit and, if I’m lucky, take it a step past that. I enjoy new physical achievements each day more than a note pad filled with weights, reps, and 1RMs.
Find Kyle Fincham on Twitter @KyleGrit
For more information and class schedules visit www.chalkgyms.com
Find Chalk Gyms on Facebook by clicking here!
Tweet with them @ChalkGyms
For all my fitness updates find me here!
Check out my e-book You Can Have It All