April Fools Day is a fun time to prank anyone, even the youngest suspects. Here are some fun loving, family-friendly and innocent April Fools Day pranks that are sure to keep everyone in the family on their toes this April Fools Day in 2013.
In the 15th century, France celebrated the New Year on April 1st. In 1562, Pope Gregory changed the calendar to the one used today and from then on, the New Year began on January 1st. Many people didn’t know about the new calendar, or they chose to ignore it and kept celebrating on April 1st. Everyone else called them April fools and played tricks on them.
To help kids get into the spirit of April Fools Day, below are ten quick and easy pranks.
- Unscrew the light bulbs: Before everyone gets home from school and work, go through the house and unscrew the light bulbs, and then kick back and enjoy your family’s looks of confusion.
- Unexpected dandruff: Sprinkle some salt in your hair, then start complaining that your head is itching like crazy. When someone looks at your head, they’ll see the worst case of dandruff they’ve ever seen.
- Remote controls on the fritz: Pull out batteries from all the remote controls, and then watch their look of puzzlement as they try to change the channels.
- Spare change: This April Fools practical joke is old, but it still works. Super-glue some coins to the sidewalk or any spot that has a lot of people walking around. Make sure it’s an appropriate place, and then watch people get frustrated when they can’t pick up the coins.
- Vaseline on the doorknob: Crisco will also work just fine. Slather on a little bit, and get ready to crack up as your victims are denied entry.
- April showers: If you have a sink with a sprayer, put a rubber band around the handle when nobody’s looking. This automatically keeps the nozzle in spray-mode. Make sure the nozzle is pointing up and outward. The next person to use the sink will get a splash.
- Got Milk?: Add a few drops of food coloring to a container of milk. It’s harmless April Fools fun and the results are pretty colorful.
- Surprise mailbox: Grab the mail right after it comes, and then fill the box with shaving cream. Ask an unsuspecting family member to go get the mail, and surprise. The mail came, but not like on other days! There may be a small mess to clean up, but the surprise and laughter will be well worth it.
- Buggy toothpaste: Place a raisin in the end of the toothpaste tube. When someone squeezes out the paste, they’ll get what looks like a bug along with their minty, tarter control glob.
- Water balloons at the bus stop: Do you meet your child at the bus stop each afternoon? On April Fools Day, greet the kids with a surprise water balloon barrage.
If you’re looking for ideas to make April Fools Day fun for kids, Kaboose.com offers even more info, including a recipe for a fake cake and some more pranks. Everything you’ll need to pull off the above pranks can be picked up at your local Wal-Mart or Target store. Both have dozens of locations scattered across Atlanta.
To receive future articles by Jackie Kass, scroll to the top of this article, and click on SUBSCRIBE. Do you have a story idea? Email your ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.