Blue cheese, the actual cheese itself has been created using cow, goat or sheep’s milk. This cheese contains penicillin cultures that are added to it to produce its blue coloring throughout the cheese. Blue cheese has a tendency to be salty and sharp in taste. During the aging process this cheese is monitored in moisture and temperature controlled environment.
Blue cheese can be eaten alone, crumbled onto salads, melted over food as well as blended to make a salad dressing. This dressing, aside from salads is popular as a dipping sauce.
- 4 ounces of blue cheese
- 4 ounces of softened cream cheese
- 2 cups of mayonnaise
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Dash or two of pepper
- In a medium sized bowl crumble up the blue cheese.
- Add the cream cheese and blend well.
- Include the mayonnaise, minced garlic, pepper and oil and stir until completely smooth.
- Store in refrigerator covered.
- Allow dressing to cool completely before serving.
- Spoon over mixed salad and serve.
- Serve a few tablespoons of blue cheese dressing over a fully loaded baked potato.
- Place some dressing into a small bowl and add it to an appetizer tray to dip sliced vegetables into.
- Serve with fried catfish and Buffalo wings at dinner time or at parties.
- A nice snack to accompany the blue cheese dressing is fresh fruit on crackers.
- White wine or a nice zinfandel is a great pairing for the flavor of this dressing.
Jackson residents can shop at any of these local grocery stores: Pick’n Save or Wal-mart for all the ingredients needed for this recipe.
© 2013 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
If you found this article informative, click the Subscribe button to receive email updates when a new article is published. It’s free! Follow Beverly on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.
More reading topics from this author:
Find more recipes and cooking tips with easy step-by-step instructions visit me at Jackson Cooking Examiner. For fun, crafty, holiday, events, tips and tricks and education stories to enjoy join me at Home and Living Examiner. Interested in health issues, recalls, medical conditions and tips and tricks for a healthier lifestyle follow me to Healthy Living Examiner. Looking for celebrity news, scoops, pop culture, events, attractions and entertainment stories follow the Jackson Celebrity Examiner.