What happens when a child says–no, to their first haircut?
Without a doubt a hair stylist must become creative!
One of the best ways for children to accept something new, is to see the process through the eyes of one of their friends.
Of course, it should be a friend they really trust. Enter, Felix the cat.
Felix is the friend that is a salon cat. Not a real cat but the cat that is often visiting Total Image Solutions located in University Place, WA. Felix comes in handy when a child is afraid of sitting in the chair or wondering what happens when they get their hair shampooed. Hairstylists will often drape Felix in a cutting cape, lay him back and have the child watch the process of shampooing. Amazingly, Felix makes connections that even mom can’t make and that is to help the child feel this is a safe place.
Steps to making Felix be the friend a child will trust.
1. Introduce the child to Felix at the beginning of the appointment.
2. Let the child carry Felix around. Be sure Felix is the type of cat that is microwaveable and will hold heat (like a neck warmer, our Felix is a neck warmer) this will help the child to feel warm and safe as they hold him.
3. Next, ask the child if you can drape Felix with a shampoo cape. Let them help.
4. Lay Felix back in the shampoo bowl.
5. Run the water and let the child see how the water does not get into Felix eyes.
6. Ask if they would like to try what Felix did and to hold Felix while they do…
Amazing things will happen when you do this. Your child will begin to feel comfortable following the steps that Felix demonstrated. AND more importantly, they will let you begin the hair cutting process. Maybe it will only be a shampoo. Maybe they will let you shampoo and trim their bangs. Or maybe you will hit a home run and get to shampoo, cut and blow dry the childs hair.
Bottom line, the child will be happy when they leave the salon and that is a home run!