Bacon Festivals are gaining popularity not only in the US but around the world as well. If you’ve never heard of this phenomenon, a Baconfest is a place where bacon fans can gather and try out a seemingly endless variety of bacon dishes and bacon cocktails, and participate in events that celebrate their love for the almighty bacon. The recent rise in bacon’s popularity can be seen by looking at ticket sales to the 2013 Des Moines Blue Ribbon Baconfest , one of the most popular bacon festivals in the US. 200 tickets were sold in 2008, 1500 tickets were sold in 2011, and a whopping 8,000 tickets were sold in 2013. Tickets to the 2013 festival sold out in 3 minutes and 22 seconds!
What kinds of activities go on at a bacon festival, besides lots of eating and drinking? Bacon festivals often include activities such as lectures, live entertainment, awards ceremonies, costume contests and other festivities. But most people come to sample the many types of dishes and drinks utilizing their favorite ingredient. The types of dishes and cocktails served are highly imaginative and quite extensive.
On April 20th, Chicago’s Baconfest took place in the windy city, and for this event, 5,700 pounds of bacon were prepared for 3,000 festival attendees. That translates to almost 2 lbs. of bacon consumed for each attendee. The list of dishes ranged from simple to complex, with items such as bacon musubi, bacon tartlets, bacon donuts, bacon churros, bacon pierogis, bacon waffles, bacon macn ‘n’ cheese, and many, many more. The only “complaint” from an attendee was that everything he owned smelled like bacon afterward!
So if you’re wondering when and if a Bacon Festival is coming to a city near you, check out this list with links to each festival’s website. If you’re lucky enough to live near one of these cities, plan on purchasing tickets as soon as they go on sale, as the popularity of these festivals means that tickets sell out almost immediately. If you don’t live near one of these cities, don’t despair. A Bacon Festival is the perfect excuse to take a mini-vacation, and sampling endless bacon dishes and cocktails is the ideal way to spend a weekend.
- April 27, 2013 – Fat Cat’s Beer and Bacon Fest 2013 – Chicago
- April 27 – Rogue Ale Bacon Fest – Eugene, OR
- May 4 – Boston Bacon and Beer Festival
- May 18 – Arizona Bacon Fest: Tucson, Arizona
- May 30-June 2 – Zingerman’s Camp Bacon, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- June 1 – Baconfest Michigan: Royal Oak, Michigan
- June 16 – Big Bite Baconfest San Diego
- June 22-23 – Blue Ribbon Bacon Tour: River Run at Keystone, Colorado
- July19-21 – Bacon and Barrels: Los Olivos, California
- August 24 – Kansas City Baconfest
- August 31 – San Diego Baconfest
- August 31 – Tri-Cities Baconfest, Bristol, Tennessee
- September 7 – Bacon Bash – Hoboken, NJ
- September 7 – Tri-Cities BaconFest – Johnson City, TN
- September 8 – River Falls Bacon Bash, River Falls WI
- September 14 – Alferd Packer Bacon Party – Littleton, CO
- October 5 – Happy Harry’s Beer and Bacon Festival – Grand Forks, ND
- October 5 – Festival of Bacon – Orlando, FL
- October 11 – Baconfest San Francisco
- October 12 – Ozarks Bacon Festival – Springfield, MO
To Be Announced:
- Washington, DC Baconfest
- Portland, OR Baconfest
- Rockford, IL Baconfest
- New York Baconfest