This chocolate pudding trifle with cake and Heath bar toffee sprinkles makes a nice addition to your simple summer desserts recipe box. I love it, because it’s the perfect “death by chocolate” dessert that allows you to use up boxes of cake mix that you have left over.
You make this chocolate pudding dessert by layering the cake along with some chocolate pudding — you can use instant — and adding in some cool vanilla-flavored whipped cream. It’s topped with Heath bar toffee crumbles and a bit of homemade caramel or chocolate topping. Serve as a dessert for your family’s first picnic at one of Boise’s beautiful parks or at your child’s outdoor carnival and watch this trifle bowl dessert disappear.
Chocolate pudding trifle recipe:
- Box of chocolate cake mix.
- 2 pkg of chocolate pudding mix
- 3 c. milk
- 2 c. heavy cream
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 crumbled Heath bars
For the Cake:
- Pre-heat your oven according to the instructions on the cake box.
- Bake the cake following the box direction and then remove from the oven, allowing it to cool.
- Break the chocolate cake up into small pieces, storing them pieces in a large bowl.
For the Chocolate Pudding:
- While the cake is baking, make the pudding according to the box directions.
- Beat the pudding mix and the milk with your mixer.
- Let it sit in the fridge for about 20 minutes; don’t cover the bowl of chocolate pudding.
For the Whipped Cream:
- Whip up the heavy cream, adding in the vanilla extra plus two teaspoons of sugar.
- Crush up the Heath bars. The easiest way to do this is to leave them in the wrappers and crunch the candy up before you open it.
- Put the crushed candy aside.
- Once the chocolate cake, pudding and whipped cream are done, you’ll want to assemble the chocolate pudding trifle recipe.
- Start this by getting out a large glass bowl; since you’re trying to make this a pretty chocolate trifle bowl dessert, go with a see-through glass bowl if you have one.
- Add about one-third of the cake crumbles to the bottom of the bowl.
- Top this with one-third of the chocolate pudding mixture and then spread the pudding over the cake pieces with a spatula.
- Spread some of the vanilla whipped cream to the top of the previous two layers and “decorate” the whipped cream layer with some of the Heath bar crumbles.
- Repeat this process until you have three layers of cake, pudding, whipped cream and crushed Heath bar toffee bits.
- Place in the fridge for several hours; overnight is better.
- Cut the chocolate pudding trifle and then drizzle some of the caramel or chocolate sauce on the slices to decorate them.
- Watch the video that accompanies this article to learn how to make a chocolate sauce to go with this chocolate pudding trifle.
Try these other delicious chocolate desserts:
- Winter dessert recipes: Chocolate Tiramisu cake, truffles, mousse and more!
- Delicious chocolate desserts: Cereal snack bars with chocolate chips
- Delicious chocolate desserts: Easy chocolate mousse pie recipe with Kahlúa
- Christmas chocolate candy recipes: Top 10 recipes for your holiday gift baskets (Video)
- 5 best chocolate recipes from the web plus chocolate news 12.10.12 (Video)
- Peanut butter chocolate muffins: Unusual muffin recipes
- Nutella chocolate cake recipe: Thanksgiving dessert ideas
- Salted caramel hot cocoa: A sweet and salty treat
- Recipe for homemade cocoa and marshmallows (Video)