Barry Sanders is proving to be the most popular NFL player of all time with current generation of sports gamers. Not only did he share the cover of NCAA Football 13 with RG3, but he’s now won the voting for Madden 25. This will not be the first time he’s graced the cover of Madden, however.
Barry Sanders will be the first player to appear on the cover of Madden with no “year” following the title. The title will not be Madden 14, but rather Madden 25, as the franchise has been around for that long. There were other former players in the tournament, and Barry beat those out, along with the current ones.
As for Barry’s return, there’s an interesting story to this. He will be the first to show up on the “non-year” named release of Madden, but he was also the first person besides John Madden himself to grace the cover. Back in 1999, Barry Sanders shared the cover with Madden, being the first player to ever appear on a Madden game. Ironically, some say this is when the Madden Curse first hit. The game was released, and Barry retired at a very early age having only played ten years.
If you want to count the original appearance in 2000, that marks the third time a Detroit Lion has made the cover. Calvin Johnson beat out Cam Newton last year, and while Megatron put up brilliant numbers, unfortunately the Lions faltered. Brett Favre was also the only other “retired” player to be put on a Madden cover.
As for Madden 25 itself, the focus of the game seems to be around the ball carrier this year. The enhanced Infinity Engine 2 will allow for excellent cut backs and tackle breaking. This new feature is called the Impact Running system. The first trailer was released to coincide with the cover announcement and it shows off some Read-Option plays and other moves.
The press release also states that the defense will see an upgrade thanks to these improvements. These improvements will include new pursuit angles and defensive “breakdowns” and recoveries from those thanks to the improved cutbacks. Improved lunge tackles, special tackles, and newly named heat seeker tackles will add more realistic animations.
EA will release the rest of their playbooks on the dates below.
· Playbook #3: Connected Franchise Part 1 (to be released 5/6) –Cement your legacy as one of the all-time great NFL players or coaches in the new and improved Connected Franchise.
· Playbook #4: Connected Franchise Part 2 (to be released 5/20) – Take ultimate control of your franchise.
· Playbook #5: Madden Share (to be released 6/24) – The best content from around the Madden NFL universe, right at your fingertips.
· Playbook #6: Madden Ultimate Team (to be released 7/1) –Enjoy new ways to play and build your team in this year’s edition of Ultimate Team.
· Playbook #7: All-25 (to be released 7/8) – Your voice. Your choice. Celebrating 25 years of Madden NFL’s best of the best.
Madden NFL 25 will be available on Tuesday, August 27, for Xbox 360 and PS3, as it looks like Wii U is currently not listed, nor are any next-gen system releases.