Smash your piggy banks, Record Store Day is fast approaching.
According to recordstoreday.com:
“This is the one day that all of the independently owned record stores come together with artists to celebrate the art of music. Special vinyl and CD releases and various promotional products are made exclusively for the day and hundreds of artists in the United States and in various countries across the globe make special appearances and performances.”
Think about it: one special day when mom-and-pop music stores meet with artists and labels to release exclusive, extremely awesome, carefully crafted products just to reward you for being an amazing fan.
Still not stoked? Check out some of the exclusive releases announced thus far:
- Garbage releases a new 10″ vinyl featuring new music, a special gift for RSD
- RSD Ambassador, Jack White, reissues “Elephant” on 2 LPs featuring one split color (red and black) record and one (appropriately) white.
- Iron & Wine will release a 7″ LP with 2 new tracks that won’t appear on their next album. The tracks are “Next to Paradise” and “Dirty Ocean”.
- The Black Keys release a single of their cover of the Stooges’ song “No Fun” with the original track on the b-side.
- And tons more to be revealed
Here are a few of the shops in NC that are participating in Record Store Day:
- Nits Nats Music Henderson, NC
- Bull City Records Durham, NC
- Offbeat Music Durham, NC
- Edward McKay Used Books & More Raleigh, NC
- Nice Price Books and Records Raleigh, NC
- Lunchbox Records Charlotte, NC
- Green Eggs and Jam Boone, NC
The complete official list will be posted March 21, so stay tuned for updates! Until then, feed your head and gear up for Record Store Day at an indie shop near you.