1. Garlic-Just a small amount of garlic has the ability to activate liver enzymes that helps your body flush out toxins. Garlic also holds high amounts of allicin and selenium, two natural compounds that aid in liver cleansing.
2. Grapefruit-High in both vitamin C and antioxidants, grapefruit increases the natural cleansing processes of the liver. A small glass of freshly-squeezed grapefruit juice will help boost production of liver detoxification enzymes that help flush out carcinogens and other toxins.
3. Leafy Green Vegetables-are one of our most powerful allies in cleansing the liver. They are extremely high in plant chlorophylls, greens literally suck up environmental toxins from the blood stream. With their distinct ability to neutralize heavy metals, chemicals and pesticides, these cleansing foods offer a powerful protective mechanism for the liver.
Including leafy greens such as bitter gourd, arugula, dandelion greens, spinach, mustard greens and chicory into your everyday diet. This will help increase the creation and flow of bile, the substance that removes waste from the organs and blood.
4. Avocados-This nutrient-dense super-food helps the body produce glutathione, which is necessary for the liver to cleanse harmful toxins. Recent studies indicate improved liver health when avocados are eaten regularly.
5. Cold-pressed organic oils such as olive, hemp and flax-seed are great for the liver, when used in moderation. They help the body by providing a lipid base that can suck up harmful toxins in the body. In this way, it takes some of the burden off the liver in terms of the toxic overload that many of us suffer from.
6. Walnuts-Hold a high amount of the amino acid called arginine. Walnuts aid the liver in detoxifying ammonia. Walnuts are also high in glutathione and omega-3 fatty acids, which support normal liver cleansing actions. Adding a ½ cup of these awesome nuts in your smoothie is a great way to consume them without having to eat them.
7. Turmeric helps detoxify the liver by assisting enzymes that actively flush out known dietary carcinogens. A great way to have tumeric is by adding it to your rice, which is a great way to have yellow rice for those who are allergic to saffron.
8. Herbal Green tea is loaded with catechins, a type of plant antioxidant that has been shown in studies to eliminate liver fat accumulation and promote proper liver function. This powerful herbal beverage also protects the liver against toxins that would otherwise accumulate and cause serious damage.